List last updated April 6, 2020.
Our communities in the Bay Area and Hawaiʻi have been instructed to shelter in place to help stop the spread of the novel coronavirus. While these orders will hopefully save many lives, they also pose challenges to daily life, especially for our communities who already faced the greatest barriers to accessing food, healthcare, education, and child care before the crisis. Please review and share this list of resources with anyone who you think may need it.
Resources for All of Our Communities
- To follow the spread of COVID-19, consult John’s Hopkin’s Global COVID-19 Cases Tracker here. You can read their daily situation reports here.
- COVID-19 Information in English and in Multiple Languages
- How to protect yourself from Coronavirus when grocery shopping
- Free resources for clinicians from Respecting Choices
- Self-care for family caregivers from the Family Caregiver Alliance
- Free palliative care online courses are available for clinicians through June 30th from the CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care.
- Advance care planning resources from PREPARE for patients and clinicians. English and Spanish versions available.
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Resources for Older Adults, Family Caregivers and Health Care Providers from the John A. Hartford Foundation
- Stress playbooks for parents and children from California Surgeon General, Dr. Nadine Burke Harris.
- Behavioral Health Guidelines for Social Distancing
- 5 Tips to Help You Regain Your Calm
- 5 Ways to Care for Your Mental Health During Coronavirus
- Children Now Resource List for Parents and Caregivers
- Parent Toolkit for a Daily Activities at Home
- 25 Joyful Activities for Little Ones Stuck Indoors
- Talking With Kids About Coronavirus from PBS
- Calculate your unemployment benefits by state
- Loans Available for Nonprofits in the CARES Act
- U.S. Small Business Administration disaster assistance loans
- Relief Funds for Undocumented Workers in California
- Federal Fiscal Relief and COVID-19: Implications for Californians from the California Budget and Policy Center
- 211 Access Support Services for food and housing assistance
- Shelf-stable food to have in your pantry during the quarantine.
- Hope Center’s Resources for College Students
- Hope Center’s Resources for College Educators to Support Students
- Xfinity WiFi Free For Everyone
- Parents Guide to Google Classroom
- Google Children’s Centers- Young Children Resources
- Museum & Park Virtual Tours
- Outschool Free Online Classes
- Educational Resources Offering Free Subscriptions
- PBS Resources for Learning
- Scholastic Learn at Home
Remote Work Resources
- Free video conferencing services
- Pivoting to Remote Work – Free COVID-19 Response Course Track for Nonprofits
- Respond to the census online to maintain social distancing and to get an accurate count so the appropriate funding goes to our communities.
Bay Area Resources
Search One Degree’s Dynamic Resource Guide – The guide includes food, financial, childcare, and other support specific to each county in the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
To find resources translated into Spanish, visit the Latino Task Force’s COVID-19 resource directory.
- COVID-19 Tracker in the Bay Area
- California Department of Public Health website
- Alameda County’s Public Health website
- Request Aid in the East Bay (financial and other support such as errands, cooking, supplies, etc.)
- San Francisco County’s Public Health website
- California Food Policy Advocates’ Resources for Young Children in California
- California Food Policy Advocates’ Resources for School-Aged Children
- California Food Policy Advocates’ Resources for Seniors
- List of free meal pick up points for all students under 18 in SFUSD and OUSD
- Download the CA Meals for Kids app to locate meals near you.
- Alameda Food Bank Helpline: 1-510-635-3663 or www.foodnow.net
- San Francisco Food Bank food finder
- Grocery Delivery Services in the Bay Area
- List of restaurants offering takeout and delivery in the Bay Area
- Map of restaurants offering takeout in the Bay Area
- SF Senior Grocery Shopping Hours
- Farmers Markets That Will Stay Open During Shelter in Place Period
- Basic needs resource list for students at Cal State East Bay
- Free online library resources at the Alameda County Public Library and SF Public Library (click on links below for SF Public Library)
- Alameda County Social Services Information
- CA Employment Development Guidance on Unemployment Insurance
- Legal Aid Fact Sheet
- Oakland Sick Leave Policy
- PGE- Suspends Shutoffs
- EBMUD water services Suspend Shutoffs
- Oakland Eviction Defense
- COVID-19 Tracker in Hawaiʻi
- Hawaiʻi Department of Public Health
- Hawaiʻi Stay at Home/Work from Home Order
- Hilo Medical Center is recruiting emergency hires for nurse aids, laundry, food service, maintenance and more. Contact Hilo Med Center Human Resources at (808) 932-3150 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
How to Get Safe and Fresh Food During the COVID-19 Crisis via Hawaiʻi Public Radio
Hawaiʻi Food Bank information
Text ‘FOOD’ to 877-877 to find free meals for kids up to age 17 through No Kid Hungry
- Hawaiʻi grocery stores offering special hours for seniors
Remote Work Resources
- Hawaiʻi Alliance for Nonprofit Organizations (HANO) list of resources for nonprofits
- Free internet service from Spectrum for 60 days
Hawaiʻi Resource Groups and Hotlines
- Aloha United Way statewide hotline
- Request assistance through OUR KUPUNA if you or someone you know is aged 65 or older and needs assistance getting groceries, medications, and household supplies.
- E Ola Mau: Hawai’i Community Response to COVID-19 – a Facebook group for community members to ask for and offer assistance
- Community Resilience Hui Facebook group to share stories of connection